August 13, 2007

Plum Ripple Stitch Afghan


This afghan took a while to finish. It was originally intended for my friend Sarah. We'd been good friends in high school and during college, though we attended different ones, me down in NY and she up in Maine. But she called me one day about 6 months after I graduated from EC and she told me she was engaged and 2 weeks later they eloped. I expressed my concern, as she'd only known him 3 months. I didn't hear from her for a long time after that and I thought she was angry at me. Finally she emailed me back 3 months later. We talked a few times, but then she stopped calling or writing back to my emails. I was about half done with her afghan at the time. I put it away because I was sad thinking about her whenever I worked on it. 2 years later I found it in a bag and covered with cat hair at my parents house. I finished it and loved the finished product. It is done in "ripple stitch" as the pattern called it. Basically, one sc and 3 dc in a cluster. This makes it very thick and cushy. It's done in Red Heart in Deep Plum. Sadly, it doesn't really match my decor so I have it stashed away in my closet. I'm really not sure what to do with it, and it still gives me a little pang when I see it. I miss my friend. I sent her a Christmas card every year for years at her mothers house. It never came back but it was never replied to either. Last year I finally stopped. Sarah, where are you? Your afghan is waiting, and so am I!

No comments: