April 11, 2010

March 2010

During March I largely caught up with most of my magazines. I still have a couple left, and of course the new march/april issues, but those can wait.

During spring break I read "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd, and it was excellent. I devoured it in a couple days. I hate bees, they scare me, but I enjoyed learning about them in the little tidbits they put all around the story. The main character's story was riveting, very raw emotionally.

I just watched the movie of it tonight actually. I was annoyed at all the little nonsensical changes they made, like most movies made from books. They made a few big changes too, which bothered me even more. Also, I felt that the movie just sort of skimmed the surface, it didn't make an emotional connection like the book did. You never get to really know the characters, don't get to really see the relationships between them grow and develop, so things just don't hit home like they do in the book.

No comments: