September 02, 2011

Summer 2011

I took a huge bag of books with me to read over the summer, but didn't get as many read as I planned to. I also ended up reading some of my mom's books.

Here were some of the books I read (links to my goodreads pages):
Incantation by Alice Hoffman 
Historical fiction, about the Spanish Inquisition and the "hidden Jews". I love historical fiction, so this was right up my alley. Alice Hoffman is a great writer too.
Beastly by Alex Flinn
Better than I expected, not great but if you like fairy tale retellings you'd probably like it. My sister and I watched the movie after I read it, and it was truly ghastly. I mean really, really bad. Don't watch it. It's too late for me...save yourselves!
Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Since I love pretty much anything dealing with religion as a greater part of society, and learning about other cultures, I enjoyed most of this book. By the end it was growing very wearisome and I think I just skimmed the last couple chapters or so. But reading about her upbringing in Somalia and Kenya was truly fascinating, as well as her immigration to the Netherlands and adjusting to living life away from home, on her own.
Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper
A cat story something like a disabled feline version of Marley & Me. Homer is found as a tiny kitten with a severe eye infection and his eyes were removed to save his life. But that didn't stop him from living life to the fullest. Funny and touching, I really enjoyed this one.

No comments: